36 Scriptural Reasons to Financial Problems
In searching for answers to financial problems, the Lord has revealed to me there are at least 36 Scriptural reasons for financial problems. I trust this Word study will bless your life as it has mine. This is not a gimmick nor is it an appeal for money.
In order to put yourself in a bless-able position, repent over each of these Scriptures taking accountability for your sin and the generational iniquities of your forefathers. In Jesus name break curses off your finances which came on you through your sin and the generational iniquities of the your forefathers.
(1) DISHONORING MOTHER AND FATHER ~~ Judging mother or father for being poor or rich, greedy, stingy, etc. Life will go well in every area where we honor mother and father and life will not go well in any area we do not honor or parents. DEUT. 5:16 “Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, that your days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with you on the land which the Lord your God gives you.”
(2) WICKEDNESS~~ PRO 13:22 “And the wealth of the sinner is stored up for the righteous.” PRO 15:6 “Much wealth is in the house of the righteous, But trouble is in the income of the wicked.” PRO 11:18 “The wicked earns deceptive wages, But he who sows righteousness gets a true reward.” JOB 15:25-29 “Because he has stretched out his hand against God, And conducts himself arrogantly against the Almighty . . . He will not become rich, nor will his wealth endure; And his grain will not bend down to the ground.”
(3) OBTAINING WEALTH BY FRAUD~~ PRO 13:11 “Wealth obtained by fraud dwindles, But the one who gathers by labor increases it.” PRO 15:27 “He who profits illicitly troubles his own house, But he who hates bribes will live.” PRO 10:2 “Ill-gotten gains do not profit, But righteousness delivers from death.”
(4) NEGLECTING DISCIPLINE ~~ PRO 13:18 “Poverty and shame will come to him who neglects discipline, But he who regards reproof will be honored.”
(5) LACK OF DILIGENCE ~~ PRO 21:5 “The plans of the diligent lead surely to advantage, But everyone who is hasty comes surely to poverty.”
(6) FOOLISHNESS ~~ PRO 21:20 “There is precious treasure and oil in the dwelling of the wise, But a foolish man swallows it up.”
(7) PRIDE ~~ PRO 22:4 “The reward of humility and the fear of the Lord are riches, honor and life.”
(8) WEARYING YOURSELF TO GAIN WEALTH ~~ PRO 23:4-5 “Do not weary yourself to gain wealth, Cease from your consideration of it. When you set your eyes on it, it is gone. For wealth certainly makes itself wings, Like an eagle that flies toward the heavens.”
(9) BEING A HEAVY DRINKER AND A GLUTTON ~~ PRO 23:21 “For the heavy drinker and the glutton will come to poverty, And drowsiness will clothe a man with rags.”
(10) BEING A SLUGGARD ~~ "a little sleep a little slumber" PRO 24:34 “Then your poverty will come as a robber, And your want like an armed man.” PRO 20:13 “Do not love sleep, lest you become poor; Open your eyes, and you will be satisfied with food.”
(11) FOLLOWING EMPTY PURSUITS ~~ PRO 28:19 “He who tills his land will have plenty of food, But he who follows empty pursuits will have poverty in plenty.”
(12) WORKING WITH A NEGLIGENT HAND ~~ PRO 10:4 “Poor is he who works with a negligent hand, But the hand of the diligent makes rich.”
(13) NOT BEING GRACIOUS TO THE POOR ~~ PRO 28:27 “He who gives to the poor will never want, But he who shuts his eyes will have many curses.” PRO 19:17 “He who is gracious to a poor man lends to the Lord, And He will repay him for his good deed.” PRO 21:13 “He who shuts his ear to the cry of the poor Will also cry himself and not be answered.”
(14) LOVING PLEASURE ~~ PRO 21:17 “He who loves pleasure will become a poor man; He who loves wine and oil will not become rich.”
(15) OPPRESSING THE POOR OR GIVING TO THE RICH~~ PRO 14:31 “He who oppresses the poor reproaches his Maker, But he who is gracious to the needy honors Him.” PRO 22:16 “He who oppresses the poor to make much for himself Or who gives to the rich, will only come to poverty.”
(16) INCREASING WEALTH BY USURY (charging excessive interest) AND INTEREST (to brother Christians) ~~ PRO 28:8 “He who increases his wealth by interest and usury, Gathers it for him who is gracious to the poor.”
(17) BEING A THIEF ~~ PRO 6:31 “But when he is found, he must repay sevenfold; He must give all the substance of his house.” ZEC 5:4 "I will make it go forth," declares the Lord of hosts, "and it will enter the house of the thief and the house of the one who swears falsely by My name; and it will spend the night within that house and consume it with its timber and stones."
(18) MAKING ALTARS TO FALSE GODS (loving anything more than Jesus) ~~ JER 17:3 O mountain of Mine in the countryside, I will give over your wealth and all your treasures for booty, Your high places for sin throughout your borders. JER 20:5 'I shall also give over all the wealth of this city, all its produce, and all its costly things; even all the treasures of the kings of Judah I shall give over to the hand of their enemies, and they will plunder them, take them away, and bring them to Babylon.
(19) IMPOSING HEAVY RENT UPON THE POOR ~~ AMO 5:11 “Therefore, because you impose heavy rent on the poor And exact a tribute of grain from them, Though you have built houses of well-hewn stone, Yet you will not live in them; You have planted pleasant vineyards, yet you will not drink their wine.”
(20) SOWING SPARINGLY CAUSES YOU TO REAP SPARINGLY ~~ LUK 6:38 "Give, and it will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, they will pour into your lap. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return." 2CO 8:15 as it is written, "He who gathered much did not have too much, and he who gathered little had no lack." 2CO 9:6 ¶ Now this I say, he who sows sparingly shall also reap sparingly; and he who sows bountifully shall also reap bountifully. 2CO 9:7 Let each one do just as he has purposed in his heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver. 2CO 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed; 2CO 9:9 as it is written, "He scattered abroad, he gave to the poor, His righteousness abides forever." 2CO 9:10 Now He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food, will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness; 2CO 9:11 you will be enriched in everything for all liberality, which through us is producing thanksgiving to God. 2CO 9:12 For the ministry of this service is not only fully supplying the needs of the saints, but is also overflowing through many thanksgivings to God. 2CO 9:13 Because of the proof given by this ministry they will glorify God for your obedience to your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for the liberality of your contribution to them and to all,
(21) BEING A COVENANT BREAKER ~~ DEU 8:18 "But you shall remember the Lord your God, for it is He who is giving you power to make wealth, that He may confirm His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day.”
(22) NOT FEARING THE LORD (to turn from evil) ~~ PRO 22:4 The reward of humility and the fear of the Lord Are riches, honor and life. PSA 112:1 Praise the Lord! How blessed is the man who fears the Lord, Who greatly delights in His commandments. PSA 112:2 His descendants will be mighty on earth; The generation of the upright will be blessed. PSA 112:3 Wealth and riches are in his house, And his righteousness endures forever
(23) FAILURE TO LOVE THE LORD AND WALK IN WISDOM ~~ PRO 8:18 "Riches and honor are with me, Enduring wealth and righteousness. PRO 8:21 To endow those who love me with wealth, That I may fill their treasuries.
(24) UNRIGHTEOUS FOREFATHERS ~~ PRO 13:22 A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children, And the wealth of the sinner is stored up for the righteous.
(25) HAVING AN EVIL EYE ~~ PRO 28:22 A man with an evil eye hastens after wealth, And does not know that want will come upon him.
(26) KEEPING COMPANY WITH HARLOTS (physical and spiritual) ~~ PRO 29:3 A man who loves wisdom makes his father glad, But he who keeps company with harlots wastes his wealth.
(27) THE GETTING OF TREASURES BY A LYING TONGUE ~~ PRO 21:6 The getting of treasures by a lying tongue Is a fleeting vapor (it evaporated), the pursuit of death.
(28) TALKING WHEN YOU SHOULD BE WORKING ~~ PRO 14:23 In all labor there is profit, But mere talk leads only to poverty.
(29) SWEARING TO THE LORD AND SWEARING TO A FALSE GOD (MILCOM) ~~ ZEP 1:13 "Moreover, their wealth will become plunder, And their houses desolate; Yes, they will build houses but not inhabit them, And plant vineyards but not drink their wine."
(30) BEING GREEDY AND SELFISH ~~ PRO 22:9 He who is generous will be blessed, For he gives some of his food to the poor.
(31) WITHHOLDING WHAT IS JUSTLY DUE ~~ Pr. 11:24 There is one who scatters yet increases all the more and there is one who withholds what is justly due, but it results only in want.
(32) BURYING YOUR TALENT BECAUSE OF A DISTORTED VIEW OF GOD (seeing God as harsh, stiff and stern) ~~MAT 25:26 "But his master answered and said to him, 'You wicked, lazy slave, you knew that I reap where I did not sow, and gather where I scattered no seed.
(33) LAZINESS AND INDOLENCE ~~ PRO 19:15 Laziness casts into a deep sleep, And an idle man will suffer hunger.
(34) ROBBING GOD OF THE TITHE ~~ MAL 3:8 "Will a man rob God? Yet you are robbing Me! But you say, 'How have we robbed Thee?' In tithes and offerings.
(35) NOT HONORING THE LORD FROM YOUR WEALTH ~~ PRO 3:9-10 Honor the Lord from your wealth, And from the first of all your produce; So your barns will be filled with plenty, And your vats will overflow with new wine.
(46) BEING UNDER A CURSE ~~ We can be under a curse: GAL 5:18 "But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law." GAL 5:22-23 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law." 1TI 1:9-10 "realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous man, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching (any sin)." GAL 3:10 "For as many as are of the works of the Law are under a curse; for it is written, 'Cursed is everyone who does not abide by all things written in the book of the law, to perform them.'" He truly became a curse for us at Calvary but we must appropriate His blood through taking accountability for our sins. PRO 3:33 The curse of the Lord is on the house of the wicked, But He blesses the dwelling of the righteous. MAL 3:8 "Will a man rob God? Yet you are robbing Me! But you say, 'How have we robbed Thee?' In tithes and offerings. MAL 3:9-11 "You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing Me, the whole nation of you! Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this, 'says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open for you the windows of heaven, and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows. Then I will rebuke the devourer for you, so that it may not destroy the fruits of the ground; nor will your vine in the field cast its grapes,' says the Lord of hosts. And all the nations will call you blessed, for you shall be a delightful land, says the Lord of hosts."
BLESSINGS AND CURSES CONTRASTED DEU 28:1-19 "Now it shall be, if you will diligently obey the Lord your God, being careful to do all His commandments which I command you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations of the earth. And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, if you will obey the Lord your God. Blessed shall you be in the city, and blessed shall you be in the country. Blessed shall be the offspring of your body and the produce of your ground and the offspring of your beasts, the increase of your herd and the young of your flock. Blessed shall be your basket and your kneading bowl. Blessed shall you be when you come in, and blessed shall you be when you go out. The Lord will cause your enemies who rise up against you to be defeated before you; they shall come out against you one way and shall flee before you seven ways. The Lord will command the blessing upon you in your barns and in all that you put your hand to, and He will bless you in the land which the Lord your God gives you. And the Lord will make you abound in prosperity, in the offspring of your body and in the offspring of your beast and in the produce of your ground, in the land which the Lord swore to your fathers to give you. The Lord will open for you His good storehouse, the heavens, to give rain to your land in its season and to bless all the work of your hand; and you shall lend to many nations, but you shall not borrow. And the Lord shall make you the head and not the tail, and you only shall be above, and you shall not be underneath, if you will listen to the commandments of the Lord your God, which I charge you today, to observe them carefully, But it shall come about, if you will not obey the Lord your God, to observe to do all His commandments and His statutes with which I charge you today, that all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you. Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the country. Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading bowl. Cursed shall be the offspring of your body and the produce of your ground, the increase of your herd and the young of your flock. Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out." DEU 28:31 "Your ox shall be slaughtered before your eyes, but you shall not eat of it; your donkey shall be torn away from you, and shall not be restored to you; your sheep shall be given to your enemies, and you shall have none to save you." DEU 28:33 "A people whom you do not know shall eat up the produce of your ground and all your labors, and you shall never be anything but oppressed and crushed continually." DEU 28:38 "You shall bring out much seed to the field but you shall gather in little, for the locust shall consume it." DEU 28:39 "You shall plant and cultivate vineyards, but you shall neither drink of the wine nor gather the grapes, for the worm shall devour them." DEU 28:40 "You shall have olive trees throughout your territory but you shall not anoint yourself with the oil, for your olives shall drop off." DEU 28:44 "He shall lend to you, but you shall not lend to him; he shall be the head, and you shall be the tail."
SEEK GOD FOR THE CAUSE. A CURSE WITHOUT A CAUSE CANNOT ALIGHT ~~ PRO 26:2 “Like a sparrow in its flitting, like a swallow in its flying, So a curse without cause does not alight."
FEAR THE LORD AND TURN AWAY FROM EVIL AND EXPECT TO BE BLESSED ~~ PSA 112:1-3 “Praise the Lord! How blessed is the man who fears the Lord, Who greatly delights in His commandments. His descendants will be mighty on earth; The generation of the upright will be blessed. Wealth and riches are in his house, And his righteousness endures forever.”
Feel free to copy or print out to share with others as the above Word Study is not under a copy write.
ABIDING LIFE MINISTRIES
PO Box 1141
Lindale, TX 75771
More in Resources
June 24, 2019Concerning Our Transition from Exodus International to Restored Hope Network
March 4, 2019I Keep Falling In Love With Him - Aaron Girod's Testimony
October 12, 2018Christ's Voice - Giving Hope to The Church in Finding Freedom from Sexual and Relational Brokenness